Thursday, March 24, 2011

#17 Airhead by Meg Cabot

Another young adult book grabbed while heading to the "to be shelved" carts at the library. Meg Cabot is a familiar writer so I often stop to see what is available by her. (She wrote The Princess Diaries, etc)
Airhead was deceptive. And humorous. VERY.
The front leaf of the book makes it clear that there is a mistaken identity. That's about it.
"Em" doesn't want to take her younger sister "Frida" to the new Super Mall where all the "IT" people of the moment are signing autographs. She's not into that kind of thing.
What I realize before it is FINALLY explained, about half way through the book, is that there was an accident at this mall event and "Em" was smooshed by a giant hanging/falling TV. The hottest of hot super models sees the accident and has an aneurism and dies at the same time. Naturally, they do a full body transplant. Em wakes up barely remembering the accident but is all of a sudden the most beautiful 17 year old in the world.
Sound like every pre-teen's dream? Okay, fine. Every WOMAN'S dream?
It cracked me up because of the blatant "what if I woke up and I was magically transformed into the wealthiest, most popular, beautiful person in the world?". There was no sugar coating here.
I like Meg Cabot. She tends to write about strong women. Or not so strong women that realize they are exceptional just as they are. etc etc etc. I suppose Princess Diaries is the same kind of rags to riches but the brain transplant thing just slays me.
I get ahead of myself, though. Honestly, I liked this book. I even was emotional towards the end when "Em" tries to make a connection with her old best friend (who thinks she's dead). It was sad. It was sweet.
The sequel is next. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sedate me. Excite me. Leave me to READ.