Monday, January 3, 2011

#2 Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I LOVED this book! Honestly, I purchased the book a few months ago after hearing that Robert Pattinson was going to be starring in the movie. I'm, since, over my obsession with R. but was still interested in the story.
The novel is about a young man in the Depression Era America. He's a veterinarian student at an Ivy league school and upon learning that his parents have just been killed in a car accident he leaves school without taking his final exams. He's alone, educated yet without his degree and penniless in a wrecked country. Naturally, He joins the circus. The author, as described in my copy of this book, accidentally fell upon some real stories and anecdotes about circus life and it prompted this novel. Many of the plot lines and characters are taken directly from real stories she heard or read.
I love how the author jumps back and forth between today, as experienced by the 90 something year old storyteller, and his memories with a traveling circus. There are so many twists and turns to this story that they even start from the prologue and go right until the very last page. I.LOVE.IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sedate me. Excite me. Leave me to READ.